Monday, July 16, 2012

ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY /by Judith Viorst

ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY written by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz is a story told in the words of the youngest son who woke up with gum in his hair, tripped on the skateboard on his bedroom floor, dropped his sweater in the sink while the water was running and found nothing but breakfast cereal in his breakfast cereal box.  At that point he was thinking he would like to move to Australia.  Things got even worse as the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day went on.  This is a  book that anyone at any age can relate to because...... who has never had one of those days?  And what mother has never said, "Some days are like that."  I, like the author, raised three sons (who slept in bunk beds).  The names are different but the scenarios are so the same!
 
On the way downstairs the elevator door closed o mu foot and while we were waiting for my mom to to get the car, Anthony made me fall where it was muddy and then when I started crying because of the mud Nick said I was a crybaby and while I was punching Nick for saying crybaby my mom came back and scolded me for being muddy and fighting. 
 
My youngest never mentioned moving to Australia but he did want to move to Mexico so that he wouldn't be forced to go to school!  But he has learned, there will always be days like that (even in Mexico and Australia) so just eat your lima beans and be thankful.
 
Bonnie R
 
186 of 1001

No comments:

Post a Comment