Monday, January 16, 2012

Mother Goose/ illustrated by Kate Greenaway



I was enchanted with her watercolor illustrations of sweet, charming eighteenth century children with their quaint costumes and idyllic scenes created by Kate Greenaway in MOTHER GOOSE.  They beautifully depict the lines in the old nursery rhymes, some so familiar that I could recite them without looking at the text and others so old they were "new" to me.  New to me too, said my friend Myra as we read them one by one, she in her wheel chair and I in the visitor's seat.  "Memory Lane is a pleasant road to travel, when you can't get around like you use to." she said.  And, we talked about what a treasure we possessed and how nice it is to have something so precious to pass along.  I read they are working to republish these classic works in affordable, high quality, color editions, using the original text and artwork to delight another generation of children.  I'm happy about that.

0096 of 1001

Bonnie R

No comments:

Post a Comment