Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Guess how much i love you/ Sam McBratney





I love you... I love you more.... I love you most.  Haven't we all been engaged in that interaction?  Sam McBratney's words and Anita Jeram's illustrations express the idea that no matter how much your baby loves you, you love your baby more, and they won't understand until they have a baby of their own.  One of the things that makes GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU unusual is that both characters, Little Nutbrown Hare and Big Nutbrown Hare, are male. There is no lack of books about the love of mothers for their children, but Daddy-love is harder to find.  Being the mother of 3 grown sons, I love the message here.  The game of "one-ups-man-ship" is one that naturally appeals to the male gender.  But, the grown up would never want to outdo his baby just because he's bigger. So... Big Nutbrown Hare let Little Nutbrown Hare go to sleep thinking he won that little game before he let out the final "I love you right up to the moon - and back"  What a sweet, sweet story!
 125 of 1001
Bonnie R 

No comments:

Post a Comment