Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis



"Bud, Not Buddy" by Christopher Paul Curtis


"Bud, Not Buddy" is the story of ten-year old Bud Caldwell, an orphan living in Flint, Michigan in 1936 during the Great Depression. Bud runs away from his foster famly and goes searching for his father. Bud finally finds a home with his Grandfather and his days as a runaway orphan come to a happy end. 
I enjoyed how this story reminded me of my father, who passed last year. The Depression had a lasting effect on my father. Growing up we always had a pantry stocked and i still have sauerkraut in my pantry dad had bought for me 2+ years ago. A 50lbs box of potatoes was an acceptable gift for my father to give and i helped him many of times dropping off a case of potatoes to one of his siblings. Usually once a month dad would drag me to the restaurant supply store to buy 1 prime, 1 new york strip and a round roast. 
Out of that I would cut him steaks and stew meat. He would vacuum pack all that and would fill up the  freezer. Dad would tell me stories about being hungry and scared that they would not eat the next day. I am sure my eyes would glaze over and i would have a uninterested look on my face. i never appreciated the stories of the Depression he had  told, but now i wish i could hear one more, I miss my dad.


RIP Paul L Roeder


“To weep is to make less the depth of grief.” 
  William Shakespeare



Bryan R


119 of 1001

No comments:

Post a Comment